‘GST Navigator for Travel Industry’ by Datuk Tan Kok Liang, Kenneth Yong Voon Ken and Lee Fook Koon
The “GST Navigator for Travel Industry” is a 229-page GST Manual aimed at assisting Tour and Travel Agents to cope with GST adoption. The manual is published by the Malaysian Association of Tour and Travel Agents (MATTA).
This specialized GST Manual was a major collaborative writing effort by Datuk Tan Kok Liang (Vice President Inbound of MATTA) together with our technical content providers Mr. Kenneth Yong Voon Ken and Mr. Lee Fook Koon. All the authors are tax experts and chartered accountants.
Officially launched at Times Square Hotel Kuala Lumpur with full media attendance, this manual has achieved a ‘first’ in several fronts:
- It is the first GST manual specialized for the Travel Industry – one which is recognized as having complex GST treatments;
- It is the first detailed GST manual published by any Trade Association in Malaysia to assist its members tackling GST issues;
- It is the first GST manual that embodies the symbiotic cooperation between the public and private sectors to solve GST problems – a fact acknowledged by Dato’ Subromaniam Tholasy (Director of GST, Royal Malaysian Customs);
- It is the first GST manual to be officially launched by 3 major organizations: MATTA, Royal Malaysian Customs and Ministry of Tourism
The GST Navigator for Travel Industry provides wide coverage of specialized GST treatments and related issues, including:
- Air ticketing
- Tour packages
- Ground transportation
- Tax invoice for travel products
- Transitional problems with ticketing and tours
Acknowledging that the GST treatment for Travel Industry is complex, Dato Subromaniam Tholasy (head of GST at the Royal Malaysian Customs) has commended MATTA for its effort to come up with this manual to explain GST implementation to the tour and travel industry.
“This is the first initiative by the private sector to come up with a guideline. I hope others will follow. This is an example that the public and private sector can work together,” he said.
In a private moment with the authors, he added: “Excellent work, gentlemen”.
The ‘GST Navigator for Travel Industry’ represents essential reading for all tax consultants rendering GST advice and GST services to their tour and travel clients.
The ‘ GST Navigator for Travel Industry’ can be purchased from the Malaysian Association of Tour and Travel Agents (MATTA).